Storm Score

 

Sound - Visible - Notice - Movement - Balance



Stitching without glue - Fixing the space - The place - That once was here



Two rhythms in harmony - kinetic equilibrium.


Most people won't know that I am scared easily by strong winds. The storm itself doesn't bother me but the movement and unpredictability of the wind does. In fact it's not just the wind but anything that blows, moves air e.g. fans, hairdryers, air conditioning units, some vacuum cleaners etc. It's a real sensory difficulty that I need to manage on a regular basis so when Storm Eunice arrived I set to work making good use of the energy.

My loom was already warped ready to go. On this occasion I was working on a Japanese Saori Piccolo loom in front of the warmth and comfort of the wood burner.

I initially calmed with the repetitive movements of winding bobbins and then proceeded to weave. The full weave was ultimately completed during the subsequent storm Franklin. I wove breathing with the wind, feeling its rhythm and force while keeping my constant rhythm of laying the weft. Each time there was a gust I recorded that by pulling an integrated supplementary warp to one side. 


Storm Score - 6m woven work (Cotton, linen, wool & anxiety)